In our continued effort to keep our students safe while they are on campus, a St. Peter’s Committee will be working in tandem with the school principals to ensure that parents are following the arrival/dismissal procedures as outlined in the school handbook.
Please review the procedure outlined below to make sure you are familiar with the pattern in use for your school.
If you have questions, please contact the elementary school office at 419-524-2572 x4100.
Note: 2-Hour Delays & Funerals
On very rare occasions, a two-hour delay or an afternoon funeral may cause drop-off to happen at the same time of a funeral procession into St. Peter’s Church. Out of respect to the family of the deceased, funeral processions have priority access to the church parking lot.
The church lot will be unavailable for drop-off. We will have extra staff on hand to assist with children crossing West First Street. The school will send out communication via our Spartan Alert messaging system.
Elementary School Drop Off
- At 7:30 a.m., the elementary parents, grades K-6, will have the opportunity to pull into the alley and enter the school parking lot, dropping off their child/children in front of the main door. Please have your child walk in front of the car for safety reasons. Up to three cars can unload at one time. Please be sure to pull up to the white line to ensure there is enough room behind you.
Elementary School Pick Up
- At 2:50 p.m., parents will be able to pull into the alley and line up for afternoon pick-up. Lining up earlier than 2:50 p.m. will result in Mulberry St. becoming backed up. Please DO NOT line up any earlier than 2:50 p.m.
- Please stay in your vehicle in line! Do not park in a parking spot and walk up to the door to pick up your child. Also, do not park and wait for your child. Please make sure that your child’s pick-up card is displayed where our staff can see who it is that you are picking up (front window/dashboard). Our staff will be calling for your child when you are in line.
Montessori/Preschool Drop Off/Pick Up
- A staff member will receive children at the car. Please do not let your child out of the car until a staff member is there. The school will not be responsible if this procedure is not followed.
- Cars should enter south of the Annex building from Mulberry Street and proceed around the driveway to the designated pickup point. Cars should exit only to the right on West First Street.
- If your child is arriving and/or departing on a bus, give the teacher the bus number and the approximate time that it will be at the school.
- If your child arrives at or leaves from school at times other than the scheduled sessions, you may temporarily park near the assigned entrance. Upon arriving, bring your child into the building. For special departures, come into the building to receive your child. In both instances, inform a staff member of the child’s arrival or departure.
- Children will be released only to persons who have been authorized by the parents. Notify the Montessori staff in writing of any changes.
- For your child’s security and the continuity of the cycle of activity, please be punctual.
Traffic Policy for Franciscan Activity Center
The following is our procedure for entering and exiting the Franciscan Activity Center parking lot at all times.
- All vehicular traffic should enter the parking lot from Distil Avenue (west end) and exit onto Crouse Street (east end).
- During drop off and pick up times, vehicles may only turn right. This is to prevent added congestion at the intersection of Crouse and W. 1st St.
- Students who park at the Franciscan Activity Center should uses the lower parking lot exit and turn left on to Distil.
If all our student and parent drivers follow the same procedure, we should have far fewer problems with congestion and possible accidents. Signs have been placed at both ends of the lot to help remind all of the proper traffic flow.
Also note, please, that the crosswalk directly in front of the Parish Center is NOT to be used during the busy arrival and dismissal times. It is much safer to walk the extra steps to the next crosswalk at the other front corner of the high school building. There is so much traffic and congestion as vehicles stop, pass, create extra lanes, and turn into the church parking lot that we have had several near misses as students (mostly elementary students) try to cross Championship Drive on foot and use the “forbidden” crosswalk. Please smile sweetly at the teacher who asks you to use the other crosswalk. It’s all about the safety of our students. The Parish Center crosswalk may be used at other times of day. It is only off limits during arrival and dismissal.
Please remember, too, that many of our student drivers are inexperienced. It would be very helpful if parents would role model safe driving habits by putting down the cell phones while cruising through our busy lots and streets at both arrival and dismissal times. Please continue to follow the morning drop-off procedure that has always been in place.