The Safety Committee at St. Peter’s has invested much time and taken great care to ensure the safety of students before, during, and after the school day. One element that plays a large part in students’ safety is the support and practice by parents of the Drop Off/Pick Up procedures as outlined by the Safety Committee.
Elementary School & Junior High School Morning Drop-Off
Cars that are staying in the Car Line (not using a parking space), proceed through lot to the area designated for handicap access to the church (on the north side of the lot)
- If your child requires your help with backpacks, projects, etc., pull into a parking space to unload.
- Elementary Students should walk to the sidewalk, proceed down the steps, then walk South on the Mulberry Street sidewalk, and wait behind the yellow line until the Crossing Guard can cross them
Cars that are going to park in marked spaces should enter the parking lot and proceed to a marked parking space.
- Once your child(ren) have exited the car, escort them to the sidewalk adjacent to the church (on the north side of the lot).
- All students and parents should cross at the traffic light, children should proceed down the steps, South on the Mulberry Street sidewalk, then wait behind the yellow line for the Crossing Guard to cross them. All students will be directed to enter the west entrance.
Optional Elementary School Drop Off – AM ONLY
At 7:35 a.m. the elementary parents, grades 1-6, will have the opportunity to pull into the alley and enter the school parking lot, dropping off their child/children in front of the main door. Please have your child walk in front of the car for safety reasons.
Note: 2 Hr Delays & Funerals
In very rare occasions, a 2 Hour Delay may cause drop-off to happen at the same time of a funeral procession into St. Peter’s Church. Out of respect to the family of the deceased, the church lot will be unavailable for drop-off. Parents will be directed to the Elementary lot or the Franciscan Activity Center lot. We will have extra staff on hand to assist with children crossing West 1st St. The school will send out communication via our Spartan Alert messaging system.
Elementary School and Junior High School Afternoon Pick-Up
Cars that are staying in the Car Line (not using a parking space), stay as far as possible to the right-hand side of the lot, allowing a second lane of cars to pass through to your left. Do not block the entrance from Championship
Drive to the parking lot.
- Pull up close behind the car ahead of you.
- Continue to pull forward to the end of the parking lot, where you may stop to load your child(ren) into your car. Students must stay on the sidewalk until your car has come to a complete stop.
- Exit the lot by merging with the other lane of cars, turn right onto Championship Drive to exit campus.
Cars that are going to park in marked spaces should enter the parking lot to the left of the Car Line and pull into an available parking space
- Cross to the sidewalk adjacent to the church and escort your child(ren) to your car. Children should not leave the sidewalk without an adult escort.
- Exit by merging with cars exiting Car Line, turn right onto Championship Drive to exit campus.
- A staff member will receive children at the car. Please do not let your child out of the car until a staff member is there. The school will not be responsible if this procedure is not followed.
- Cars should enter South of the Annex building from Mulberry Street and proceed around the driveway to the designated pickup point. Cars should exit only to the right on West First Street.
- If your child is arriving and/or departing on a bus, give the teacher the bus number and the approximate time that it will be at the school.
- If your child arrives at or leaves from school at times other than the scheduled sessions, you may temporarily park near the assigned entrance. Upon arriving, bring your child into the building. For special departures, come into the building to receive your child. In both instances, inform a staff member of the child’s arrival or departure.
- Children will be released only to persons who have been authorized by the parents. Notify the Montessori staff in writing of any changes.
- For your child’s security and the continuity of the cycle of activity, please be punctual.
- Cars should enter south of the Annex building from Mulberry Street and stop behind the Annex doors for drop off and for pick up.
- Cars should then merge with Montessori traffic around the driveway to exit.
- There is a right turn only onto West First Street.
Traffic Policy for Franciscan Activity Center
The following is our procedure for entering and exiting the Franciscan Activity Center parking lot at all times. After studying the traffic flow we have determined that there are fewer potential problems if all vehicles ENTER the lot from Distl Avenue and exit onto Crouse Street. Those who exit onto Crouse Street may only turn right. This is to prevent added congestion at the intersection of Crouse, First Street, and Championship Drive. Only students who park below the hill may exit on the Distl Avenue side and they may only use the back exit, behind the
Franciscan Activity Center, and turn left onto Distl. If all our student and parent drivers follow the same procedure, we should have far fewer problems with congestion and possible accidents. Signs have been placed at both ends of the lot to help remind all of the proper traffic flow.
Also note, please, that the crosswalk directly in front of the Parish Center is NOT to be used during the busy arrival and dismissal times. It is much safer to walk the extra steps to the next crosswalk at the other front corner of the high school building. There is so much traffic and congestion as vehicles stop, pass, create extra lanes, and turn into the Church parking lot that we have had several near misses as students (mostly elementary students) try to cross Championship Drive on foot and use the “forbidden” crosswalk. Please smile sweetly at the teacher who asks you to use the other crosswalk. It’s all about the safety of our students. The Parish Center crosswalk may be used at other times of day. It is only off-limits during arrival and dismissal.
Please remember, too, that many of our student drivers are inexperienced. It would be very helpful if parents would role model safe driving habits by putting down the cell phones while cruising through our busy lots and streets at both arrival and dismissal times. Please continue to follow the morning drop-off procedure that has always been in place.